Wednesday, September 18, 2013

GAME ON

Just when I say I will never follow another diet, I am off and running (literally) again.  Why?  Well, I am fat - yes - it is true and I must look at it with open eyes.  My body is being stressed and I hate how I feel in my clothes - it is a bit like pouring concrete each day into my pants and tugging on zippers and having to bend over several times to stretch them into wearable position.  It would not surprise me if they just give way at the back.  I am not buying anything larger - I refuse to do that. I made a promise to myself that I would not venture into the 20's when it came to sizing.  The only way I have been able to stop that leap into the 20's is to buy 18W.   So here I am on the 3rd day of GAME ON.  Thank goodness my wonderful Ericka is joining me on this journey.  We have been on again off again dieters, but for the last few months I have been sliding backwards  - having a few lucid moments of sanity when it comes to food, but overall reaching a terrible place with weight and body image.  I could rail about our culture and how we are seduced by ads and tasty concoctions because I can't really call them food - there isn't much food in them but they are loaded with taste (sugar - but not even real sugar - it's concentrated to give a bigger bang for the buck - high fructose corn syrup).

Anyway, I know a great deal about diets and eliminating huge food groups and then craving them like a junkie.  I am a greedy pig at times because I don't even take the time to taste the food.  I remember the first smorgasbord that came to Florence when I was growing up - the concept to farmers who had lived through the depression of a place where you can eat all you want was just extraordinary.  We were seduced by the concept and that was the idea of a great family day out - we would all laugh and socialize and enjoy this wonderful thing called a smorgasbord - a Scandinavian delight.  Of course, it didn't take long for restaurants to jump onboard and suddenly there was a great deal of choice involved.  "Old Country Buffet","Ponderosa", "Ryans" - we were spoiled for choice in where we would find the next gorge - it sounds disgusting even to me but my family loved a good buffet.  It is even worse now as you can get pizza buffets, Chinese buffets, crab feasts, italian buffets - you name it and it exists  - let's face it -  you probably don't have to drive more than 5 miles to find a great all you can eat buffet for about $7.00 - hmmmmm - a McDonald's meal costs that you think and of course that is justification for heading to the buffet and stuffing yourself.  

Okay enough about emerging swine behavior patterns.  I have also joined my friend Ericka in a couch to 5K exercise plan.  This is my second day of that and at this point I hope I am not found on some path, killed by a coronary.  I am so out of shape.  But, I am committed to changing all of this.  I want to move around without pain.  I want to be able to buy clothes that are fun and sexy.  I still feel sexy and then I capture myself in the mirror as I am walking by - those moments could make me weep if I wasn't laughing at myself.   I do a great deal of laughing - that is my one saving grace - I don't take anything too seriously.  

Well - I have done my 5K workout at Kinder Farm - didn't realize it would take me another 40 minutes to get back around to the car so I worked out unintentionally for an hour - well that is a good thing, isn't it?  Tonight I am back on the risers and singing - life is GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment